The department of Mathematics and Statistics established in 1978 has been in the main stream of academic life of Mercy. The charter head of this department was Rev Sr. Crisantha CMC. It has always shared the vision of the Institute, in striving for academic excellence and has succeeded in this endeavor to a large extent. It was further upgraded in 2005 to the postgraduate status.
The Department aims for academic excellence, personality development and to create an aptitude for higher studies. Students of MSc Mathematics generally take up teaching positions or opt for research. Our department motivates the study of mathematics which offers a unique and important way of interpreting the world around us, bringing accuracy and rigor to the quest for discovering patterns in observations both abstract and concrete. We nurture a mathematical point of view in all of our students: those embarking on a liberal education, those desiring skills for other endeavors, and those pursuing contemporary ideas in mathematics and computer science.
In brief the department has a vision to contribute to human excellence along with academic excellence .In the coming decade, apart from the existing areas; the department intends to develop areas related to mathematical aspects of computing science in all its manifestations.
- Teaching mathematics is to develop, in each and every student, an understanding and love of mathematics that lasts a lifetime and evolves to meet changing demands.
- To reason and communicate mathematically and hence make mathematics as a ‘problem solving life skill’ that helps students to be successful in their daily lives and in their chosen careers.
- To help students develop quantitative and abstract reasoning.
- To teach advanced mathematical concepts and analytical skills, to stimulate curiosity, encourage persistence and develop mathematical maturity.
- To provide a strong foundation, suitable for further study and for career in mathematics or a related field, and thereby inspiring, energize, motivate, and stimulate creativity of students.
- To extend strengths in exposition, and professional leadership while maintaining a tradition of service to the College community and beyond.
- To facilitate a broad and solid base in mathematics enabling both further study and application.
- The heart of our endeavor is excellence in teaching and learning. To that end, we encourage the development of existing and new courses.
- To promote connections among mathematics, computer science, and related disciplines and offer a base in computer science.
- To promote participation in mathematical activities at local, regional, and national levels.
- B.Sc. Mathematics (30 Seats)
- Complimentary Courses: a) Statistics b) Physics
- M.Sc. Mathematics – (Self financing – 20 Seats)
Ms. Sheela P. Koikkara,
Head of the Department of Mathematics
Mercy College, Palakkad.
Faculty In Mathematics
- Ms. Sheela P. Koikkara, Associate Professor
- Sr. Jorry T.F. (Sr. Nirmal)(on FIP), Assistant Professor
- Dr. Nithya A. A., Assistant Professor
- Ms Misha Mathew ,Guest Lecturer
- Ms. Divya P.S ,Guest Lecturer
- Ms. Renjitha R. ,Guest Lecturer
- Ms. Padma R.S, FDP substitute
- Ms.Anjali Mohanan ,Guest Lecturer
Faculty In Statistics
- Ms. Ranjitha R ,Guest Lecturer
- Ms. Karthika P.V