Professional social work is based on a body of knowledge & skill rooted in the democratic values & implemented through the methods of social case work, social group work, community organization, social work administration & social work research. Its purpose is to help people individually in groups through problem solving activity.
The department of social work was established in the year 2015-16, under the leadership of Dr. Sr. Alice Thomas, principal. The department was inaugurated by Mr. M.B Rajesh , M.P. the department offers two year graduate programme in social work with two specializations viz. Medical & psychiatric social work and rural & urban community development .
The objective of the course is to study the various methods of social work for improving the human standards of living by creating awareness on their capabilities and helping them to solve their problems in their day to day life.
Initiating positive change through support, guidance and empowerment.
- Train students to be committed professional social workers.
- Enable them to work in a wide variety of social work settings and amidst diverse population.
- Translate Academics to action.
- Give special focus on gender –based issues.
- Instill skills necessary for effectively working with community by using professional knowledge of Social work.
- Train students to work with various national and international Social Welfare Organisations.
- Camp in rural area to improve understanding of indigenous practices and community living.
- Observation visits to various Social work related organizations, hospitals and Non-governmental organizations.
- Observance of socially relevant days.
- Conducting surveys in collaboration with Governmental and Non Governmental Organisations.
- Conducting National and International seminars.
- Participating and organizing programmes for awareness against social issues.
- Ensuring students’ active participation in programmes organised for awareness against social and Human rights Issues in and around Palakkad.
Aim of the Course
- To strengthen the innate capacities of students and empower them to work with all social classes.
- To create an atmosphere of social sensitivity and social awareness.
- To strengthen the participatory approaches in all levels of development processes.
- To impart value based knowledge on social Justice, empowerment and democracy.
- To build competent and professional social workers to meet global demand.
SpecializationsThe Department offers two specialisations viz;
- Medical and Psychiatric Social Work..
- Rural and Urban Community Development.
Deepa N. Course Coordinator,
Asst. Professor In Sociology,
Mercy College, Palakkad
- Soumya Elizabeth Titto , MSW(CD) , Guest Lecturer
- Cily Syriac , MSW (M&P) , Guest Lecturer
- Aswathy.B , MSW( M&P), Guest Lecturer