Department of Physics came into existence in the year 1964 with the introduction of a UG course. Right from its beginning the department had a team of dedicated teachers, with a great vision of empowering the women by equipping them with scientific knowledge and enhanced self confidence to face the challenges of the modern world.
The department has well equipped UG and PG laboratories, library and internet facility. Over the years, the students of Physics are being offered quality education with special care extended to the academically weak and socio-economically backward sections of the society. Many a times the department has been honoured with university ranks.
Initiating positive change through support, guidance and empowerment.
- Train students to be committed professional social workers.
- Enable them to work in a wide variety of social work settings and amidst diverse population.
- Translate Academics to action.
- Give special focus on gender –based issues.
- Instill skills necessary for effectively working with community by using professional knowledge of Social work.
- Train students to work with various national and international Social Welfare Organisations.
- Camp in rural area to improve understanding of indigenous practices and community living.
- Observation visits to various Social work related organizations, hospitals and Non-governmental organizations.
- Observance of socially relevant days.
- Conducting surveys in collaboration with Governmental and Non Governmental Organisations.
- Conducting National and International seminars.
- Participating and organizing programmes for awareness against social issues.
- Ensuring students’ active participation in programmes organised for awareness against social and Human rights Issues in and around Palakkad.
Aim of the Course
- To strengthen the innate capacities of students and empower them to work with all social classes.
- To create an atmosphere of social sensitivity and social awareness.
- To strengthen the participatory approaches in all levels of development processes.
- To impart value based knowledge on social Justice, empowerment and democracy.
- To build competent and professional social workers to meet global demand.
SpecializationsThe Department offers two specialisations viz;
- Medical and Psychiatric Social Work..
- Rural and Urban Community Development.
Deepa N. Course Coordinator,
Asst. Professor In Sociology,
Mercy College, Palakkad