Mercy College is a first grade Post Graduate College for women, affiliated to the University of Calicut. It is managed by the Carmelite sisters of Jai Christo CMC Education Agency. The College comes within the religious jurisdiction of the Bishop of Palakkad. Mercy College was started in 1964, as an offshoot of St. Mary’s College, Trichur. In 1946 St.Mary’s College was started and it was affiliated Madras University. Palakkad, a backward district, had only minimum facilities for women’s education. A college exclusively for women was very much the need of the hour. A small contingent of seven sisters from St. Mary’s College, Trichur took up the task of finding the land and means for starting the College. It was their mission and dedication that drew the blue print for a premier educational institution.
On 24 June 1964 the University of Kerala accorded sanction and the College started functioning in a temporary building on 1 July 1964. The College was formally inaugurated by his Excellency Dr.G.C. Allapat, Bishop of Trichur. Mercy College became a first grade college in 1967 with five UG courses. The College was affiliated to the University of Calicut in 1968 when it came in to existence. Since its inception. Till 1987, Mercy College was under the Corporate Management of CMC Educational agency Thrissur. The College has worked tirelessly for the past 50 years towards the betterment of women.