The Department of English, established in 1964, is one of the oldest in the Institution. At first, English was taught as the first language for the one-year Pre-University Course and as Part I language at the degree level and as part of the B.A. degree course in English language and literature. English was taught at the Pre-Degree level till the course was de- linked in 2000. The beginning of Post Graduate course in English Language and Literature in the year 1995 marked an important phase in the development of the Department. The department was recognized as a Research Centre in the year 2001.
The Department has steadily grown and emerged as one of the leading Departments of the College with strength of 12 members. Since, its inception the Department has played an important role in establishing relevant specializations in areas such as English Language Teaching, Post Colonial Writing, American Literature and Comparative Literature. The Department has hosted several international, national and regional conferences, seminars and workshops on Performing arts, Women Achievers, Comparative Studies etc. Members of the Faculty have presented papers at International seminars in Australia and Malaysia. They have also published papers in reputed literary journals.
Anchored in the vision of the pioneers of the Department of English We aim at the empowerment of woman by providing them with quality education.
The objective of the PG Department of English and Research Centre is to equip the learners in linguistic and communicative skills to meet the challenges of the modern world.
- To motivate students to take up innovative and creative approaches to learning literatures.
- To encourage research activities.
- To develop soft skills to fulfill the professional needs of the learners.
- The department has a research centre that is committed to motivating students towards research.
- Two faculty members are recognized Research Guides of the Research Centre.
- Five scholars from the Research Centre have been awarded PhD Degrees.
- At present, the Research Centre has eight scholars pursuing Ph.D.
- The Research Centre publishes its annual journal PURSUITS in the months of November-December.
- The Research Centre also provides library facilities to Research Scholars and post-graduate students.
- Extension lectures by eminent resource persons.
English Department holds a well equipped library with more than 2500 books and several Research Journals. The Dept. has a Research Centre in Comparative Literature that is committed to motivate students towards research. The Dept. also has 14 computers, 3 laser printers and an LCD projector.
- UG course in English language and Literature with Journalism as the Complementary course.
- PG course in English language and Literature.
- PhD at Research Centre for Comparative Studies, affiliated to the University of Calicut.
Head of the Department
- Ms. Sheena John, Associate Professor
- Ms. Trisina M. Alappat, Associate Professor
- Ms. Meena P. Kumar, Associate Professor
- Ms. Rosemary K.R., Assistant Professor
- Dr. Praseedha G., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Sreedevi K. Menon, Assistant Professor (on FIP)
- Dr. Nila N., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Priyanka M.C., Assistant Professor
- Ms. Sonia Thomas, Assistant Professor
- Ms. C.G. Shyamala, Assistant Professor
- Ms. Rakhi N. P., Assistant Professor