Department of English
The library is the pivotal point of our cultural and educational development. As new vistas of knowledge in all fields of education are opening up, the library plays a peak position in the college curriculum.
The library at Mercy College was established in 1964 and a new block, ‘EKATHA’ was added on January 1992 as part of the Silver Jubilee memorial of the college. The library underwent a major refurbishment and transformation in 2005-06, with the work being completed in 2006. In addition to the resources that have been added in terms of books and journals, the library refurbishment project has resulted in a completely automated, digitally controlled library system with OPAC facility which is fully equipped to deal with the demands of the student and teaching body. Users have access to wired network connectivity.
Ekatha spreads across 612 sq.m area in two floors with a Reception Counter, Reading Rooms, Reference Section, Back Volume Section, Religious Book Section, Research Room, IT Zone, and a Copier Section. There is a ‘Nadumuttam’ for a caressing and rejuvenating feeling which also allows maximum passage of natural light to the interiors. The main Reception Counter situated at the entry level acts as Information, Issue and Property Counter. Ekatha has a seating capacity of 200 students in ground floor and 50 on the 1st floor. In addition to open study space on all levels, Ekatha has carrels which are reserved for PG students in the College.
The library has a wide variety of educational and research materials like books, journals, periodicals, text books, back volumes etc.
- Books: 61885
- Reference Books: 3000
- Text books: 2991
- Journals: 40
- Periodicals: 78
- News paper: 8
- Back Volumes: 850
- Book lending services
- Reference services
- Internet services
- OPAC services
- Information services
- Reprography services
- News paper clipping services
The library is open on all days except Sundays, 2nd Saturdays and Government holidays.
Its working hours are from 8.30 am to 5.00 pm.
The reading room is kept open from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm.
Admission to the Library
Admission to the Library is restricted to the members only. Library card is compulsory and the members are requested to register in the computerised gate register while entering and leaving the library.
Members & Library Card Fee
Students, Teachers, Non-teaching staff, Retired staff and old students of the college. ₹100 is collected as library card fee.
Members are eligible to borrow books from the Library as follows: Heads of Departments – 20 books; Teachers – 15 books; PG Students – 4 books; UG Students – 2 books A book is issued for 14 days for staff and students. An overdue charge of ₹1 per volume per day is levied for a book not returned on or before the due date.
Rules & Regulations
1. Strict silence is to be observed in the Library.
2. Open access system is followed in the Library. Books should not be misplaced as they may be lost.
3. P.G. students are allowed to take four books at a time and under graduate students, two books at a time from different sections.
4. Once a book is issued, it will be issued for 14 days, the same can be renewed once if the books are not required by others.
5. The students are not allowed to exchange or pass round the library books or lend them to those in or outside the College. Students are strictly forbidden to take books on behalf of other students.
6. Damage to or loss of books on loan should be immediately reported to the librarian and the members may replace such books or pay the damages as fixed by the librarian.
7. Books on loan can be recalled at any time at the discretion of the librarian. The librarian may refuse the loan of reading materials to any student if she is found careless in behaviour, and in the handling of library materials.
8. Reservation of the book can be done from the OPAC in the library by the member and the book shall be reserved for one day only.
9. No combined reference work or discussion is allowed inside the library or reading-room. Personal belongings such as books, umbrellas, boxes etc. should be left outside the reading-room. Students are permitted to bring only pen and paper to the library or reading room. They are to be shown at the counter, while entering the library and on leaving. Students are advised not to leave money and valuables in their bags.
10. The reading – room is to be kept orderly by students at all times. Newspapers, Magazines, Journals etc. must be handled carefully and on no account should they be removed from the reading-room.
11. Books taken out for the Onam and Christmas holidays should be returned within three days of the re-opening. Students are expected to return all the library books three days before they leave for their revision holidays
12. Students shall return their library cards at the close of the Particular Course, except the students who are admitted from the academic year 2014.
13. Members of the staff may take a maximum of 14 books from reference and 3 books from fiction. They are not allowed to lend the library books to those inside and outside the college. At the end of the academic year they are expected to return all the books.
1. UGC Infonet Service
UGC-Infonet e-journals consortium initiative was undertaken by the Indian University Grants Commission (UGC) to facilitate free access to scholarly journals and databases in all fields and disciplines by the research and academic community across the country. At present it includes the databases covering all fields of higher learning of relevance to universities including Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Physical and Chemical Sciences, Life Sciences, Computer Science, Mathematics and Statistics. These resources include more than 3800 electronic journals and more than 80,000 electronic books.
2. Open Access Electronic Resources Links
Open Access Electronic resources are available online to the reader without financial, legal, or technical barriers.
01. General List of Open Access e-prints Free_Access_Online_Archives
02. Open Access digital repository http://arxiv.org/
03. CogPrints http://cogprints.org/
04. Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) http://www.doaj.com/
05. Internet Public Library http://www.ipl.org/
06. Open access digital repository covering Research papers in Economics RePEc http://repec.org/
07. Peer-reviewed journals covering Bioscience http://www.bioone.org/
08. Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
09. World`s Electronic Journals http://www.e-journals.org/
10. Social Science Journals- UNESCO